Monday, September 24, 2012

More excitement

This week had a lot of action.  Much more than any other week thus far.  To start I was in court every day this week except Friday.  Monday I went to court first thing in the morning for a default judgment hearing and a trial.  I got to talk to the client before the attorney arrived at court and prep them a little bit.  Also I dealt with the balliff because the attorney actually ended up being late.  The trial went as we actually expected, which wasn't good but the facts weren't in our favor anyway.

Tuesday I went to bankruptcy court with Don and actually went on the record during a 341 hearing.  That was a new experience and the US Trustie even gave me a hard time jokingly because he knew I was new.  Wednesday I was also with Don and we went to the judicial court to enter 14 default judgments.  This was the highlight of the week definitely because not only did we see weddings, we saw 69 evictions get callled and hear ridiculous excuses for not paying rent.  We saw a few other civil hearings, including the judge telling a mother she was unfit because her 15 year old was in toruble.  The best though was a trial over insufficient contract work on a home and the plaintiff was pro se and quite the character.  He even was yelling at the judge at one point and I was shoked he wasn't thrown out of court.  We were the last thing on the judge's docket and we actaully ended up just chatting with the judge for 30 minutes or so.  He even told me about some fishing spots I should try.  Since he is a judicial judge he is not required to be an attorney and I believe he is not, but he definitely knows his stuff.  Good guy to know.

Thursday was the hearing for our big AT&T case that I wrote the response for.  The opposing counsel really mopped the floor with us because we didn't really have an argument anyway.  This being the 5th hearing for this trial the judge was fed up and sanctioned both attorneys and required them to write letters of apology to each other, and copy the court by Friday afternoon.   The judge also asked for briefs based on liquidated damages and attorney's fees as a basis for a new trial so thats what I'll be working on starting this morning. 

I think that's about all that happened last week.  Learning a lot just being around the attorney's and going to court is just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment